What is an Aadhaar Card?
An Adhaar Card or a Unique Identty (UID) card is 12-digit unique personal identification number issued by the Government of India. Any resident in India or an NRI can apply for an Adhaar card. An Adhaar card can be issued for children of any age, as well. To get an Adhaar car is totally voluntary (not compulsory) process, but it is great to have as it has several benefits. This service is a free service and there is no official charge for it.
The process for applying for Aadhar Card is simple and now has become an online process. Here is a detailed guide on How to apply for an Aadhaar Card.
Benefits of Aadhaar Card
As Aadhaar card is a project of Government of India, there are lots of government processes where Aadhaar Card is used as an identification purposes. This card was introduced to distribute social welfare benefits to the public in an efficient manner. Some of the ways in which Aadhaar card is currently being used are:
- All public sector and private sector banks now take Aadhaar Card as a unique identifier for any individual. It can be used as an alternative to Voter ID card or Passport
- Aadhaar card is also being used by the Gas distribution companies, under Direct Benefits Transfer (DBTL) scheme, for registration and identification purposes. These companies are even reimbursing the subsidy on Gas connections on the basis of Aadhaar cards. The transfer of funds are done to the bank which is registered on the Aadhaar records
- You can also use your Aadhaar card as identification for getting a new Passport / renewal of passport, etc.
- All the pensioners from select states will now have to register their Aadhaar card number to their respective department in order to receive
- Aadhaar card can also be used as a valid address proof wherever required. Such as for getting a new Mobile Connection, etc.
- Similar to pension, provident fund money will be given to the account holder who’ve registered their Aadhaar number with Employee Provident Fund Organization (EPFO).
With the above benefits of Aadhaar Card, it makes sense for all of us to apply for Aadhaar Card. And, slowly and slowly government will link other benefits and processes with Aadhaar Card to make it more useful and an efficient project.